Education to Optimize Your Care of Adult, Adolescent, and Pediatric Patients with Obesity
The Blackburn Course in Obesity Medicine will be held online this year, using live streaming, electronic Q&A, and other remote learning technologies.
Effective treatment of patients with obesity is an increasingly important part of modern medical practice. This course delivers practical strategies to optimize the management of obesity and its many complications, and provides the most up-to-date approaches to obesity prevention and treatment.
Highlights of the 2023 program include:
- Comprehensive evaluation of the patient with obesity
- Medical management of the patient with obesity
- Emerging precision medicine approaches to obesity and metabolic disorders
- Optimizing medical outcomes after bariatric surgery
- Effective counseling and motivation techniques
- Medical and surgical treatment of children and adolescents with obesity
- Emerging strategies and therapies for genetic obesity
- Navigating our understanding of how diet influences metabolic processes
- Building and maintaining a successful Obesity Medicine practice
- Enhancing communication about obesity with patients, referring providers, payers, and the public
Presented by authorities in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, nutrition, endocrinology, gastroenterology and psychology from the country’s leading obesity treatment centers, this course covers critical topics in the prevention and treatment of obesity and related disorders. It includes didactic lectures and panel discussions to improve participants’ ability to care for patients with obesity. In addition, an Obesity Medicine board review is offered for participants preparing for the American Board of Obesity Medicine board examination.
This course is designed to give health care providers the knowledge to:
- Identify, evaluate and manage patients with high-risk obesity
- Provide lifestyle-based therapies for obesity, including nutritional, physical activity, and behavioral approaches
- Apply effective counseling and behavioral modification techniques
- Apply current pharmacological approaches to the treatment of obesity
- Assess patients for their need and appropriateness for bariatric surgery and determine surgical options
Obesity Medicine Board Review
One day prior to the start of Treating Obesity 2023, we offer a comprehensive one-day review course to help candidates prepare for the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM) certification examination. This course is taught by diplomates of the ABOM, and reviews all the major basic, diagnostic and treatment concepts required for the exam, including:
- Pathophysiology of obesity
- Obesity comorbidities
- Pediatric patient management
- Genetic and syndromic obesity
- Nutrition and exercise assessment and intervention
- Intensive lifestyle and behavioral therapy
- Anti-obesity pharmacotherapy
- Bariatric surgery
- Click here for full agenda
Participation in both Treating Obesity 2023 and the Obesity Medicine Board Review fully satisfies the 30-hour Group One CME requirement to qualify for the ABOM certification.
Discounts apply when attending both the Board Review and Treating Obesity 2023.
Patient Care. Reimbursements. Challenging Cases. Global Perspectives.
Fewer than 5% of patients with obesity undergo proper clinical evaluation for this disorder in a clinical setting. Treating Obesity 2023 provides education about obesity, its causes and consequences, and the most effective tools and strategies for its prevention and treatment.
Unique to this program is a 360-degree educational experience, where attendees:
- Hear from authorities in medicine, pediatrics, nutrition, surgery, endocrinology, gastroenterology, and mental health about strategies to optimize care for your patients with obesity
- Learn how to build and maintain a successful Obesity Medicine practice in varied clinical settings, including primary care, multidisciplinary obesity care center, and a standalone Obesity Medicine specialty private practice
- Learn about the increasing global burden of obesity-associated disease
- Understand the adverse effect of obesity on the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases related to obesity
- Become more effective at strategic communication with payers, employers, and other policymakers about the benefits and value of targeted obesity treatment
- Get feedback and guidance on your own challenging cases from experienced Obesity Medicine clinicians
- Interact directly with faculty during panel discussions and interactive question and answer sessions
- Prepare for the American Board of Obesity Medicine board examination
Optimized for Remote Education
The 2023 program has been enhanced for distance learning. In addition to being live streamed, all sessions will include live question and answer discussions. Both the presentations and discussions will be recorded and made available to participants for online viewing until October 15, 2023 (through the end of the ABOM exam dates).